Sunday 3 December 2006

my drawing manifesto




Life is a constant learning and rescripting of lines.

I think in lines. Masses of looping lines forming figures and languid speech. I am into drawing as seeing, extending an experience and finding a way through and forward.

Tracing silhouettes is a beautiful way to capture movement and the essence of a person in their motion. A way of mapping out a new script, and exploring stories between people, inner processes and their lines on paper.

I am really excited about this idea of drawing at the moment. Every drawing is a challeng, translating three dimensional bodies and movement onto a two dimensional plane. Stop motioning, being still inside motion, as the model pauses for me to trace their outline.

I have been drawing self portraits for five years. Te ones I am showing in this exhibition are from the last four months. I am interested in how inner and outer perception affects the drawings and how drawing affects perception.

Drawing myself, using a small mirror, and often while riding a tram, is an effective way of grounding and being in each experience as an experience. It allows me to feel and move through my processes. Of coordinating the hand with the eye and of creating a calm inside, the sanctuary.

Photographs just see to happen, they are not something I really plan. My camera finds itself in my hand, recording patterns and finding beauty amongst this city landscape. Process is integral to my art and life. Photos become a way of recording process in a very literal way.

Chay-Ya Clancy.
(This was the statement that I included as part of my exhibition, thought you might find it interesting to read.)






No comments: